Thanks to some help from a friend who builds satellites, and has a much steadier hand than I do, the panadapter from HupRF is installed.
Some thoughts for anyone installing this on an FT-991. First, its on the bottom, not the top (mistake one, but nothing critical) looks like the internal tuner board is on the top of the radio. The IF is on the bottom.
Its hard to really see the scale in these photos. But the components are extremely close together, and very small. Each soldered connection looks like its the size of a pinhead.
I did learn a neat trick from him. Don’t bother stripping insulation from a very thin wire when its a lot easier and more precise to just burn it off and clean your iron afterwards.
Also, specific to the FT-991, the back of this radio is really tight, you’ll either have to run the SMA cable out a vent hole in the back, or drill a hole thru the top if you want a mount that is really secure. Right now, I took the SMA cable and tied a loop to keep it from getting pulled out.
I’ll add another post in the next few days to let everyone know how it works on the air. I still need to figure out the best SDR software to display as a panadapter, and to see if i can get it to work with my android tablet.